Thursday, August 4, 2011

I'VE DECIDED! HARD WORK IT IS.

Big dreams.  We all have them. You've heard it before.  "I want to be a fireman, a princess, a lawyer, a football star, a musician, a costume designer,  an American Idol."  My dream..to qualify for the Boston Marathon.  Not really a shocker to us runners, but a dream non-the-less.  It's a dream for a lot of runners.  It's hard work.  Lucky for me, I've never been afraid of hard work.  I've wanted it for as long as I can dream.  I'd watch the Boston Race every year with rapid heart beats.  I would sit at the edge of the couch cheering loudly.  No.  Screaming.  It's my super bowl.  So, in true "Cynthia fashion" I decided this was the year.  When I set my mind to something, there's just no stopping me.  Just do it!  It may seem like it was a whim, but I've been thinking about it most of my life.  This was the day.  I mean I'm 50, why not.  Oh my gosh, what am I thinking.  Me?  Of course. 

So, first step; find someone to help me get started.  I Googled coaches.  Called the local running store for help.  Got a few numbers and some emails.  This one looks good.  This one, hmmm okay.  Don't like her.  We'll try these few.  Called and emailed them.  Left messages.  No reply.  What a shocker!  What is it with people these days?!  GRRRR!  Do you want a job or not?  Just reply.  A day later, "Hello?"   WE HAVE A WINNER!  Dave.  I gave him answers to his questions.  "Just put it all on paper Dave," I said.  "Speed work, tempo runs, long runs...if it's on paper, I WILL DO IT!"  I knew I had to do the work but just didn't know quite how to put it together.

I've been working hard for a month now.  Speed work on Wednesdays, boot camp on Tuesdays, Thursdays, & Fridays.  Light workout on Saturdays.  Biking or swimming.  Long runs on Sunday.
18 miles has been my longest thus far.  Glorious Mondays, as I call them, are rest days.  I live for Mondays.  But,  I'm tired.  Hungry.  And always, always sore.  Aspercream and Aleeve are my closest friends.

So here we are.  I've signed up.  Marathon date, September 17, 2011.  "Top of Utah."  I've done this one before.  It's beautiful and a fast course.  Oh lucky me.   I'm so excited at times, I can't sleep.  Other days...mostly at 4:30 am before a long run..I think, "Why am I doing this?"  The voice inside says, "get up and go."  I want to hit that voice.  Of course, I get up.  And go.

I wasn't going to tell the world about my Boston attempt.   What if I don't make it?  I'd have to share that with the world too.  Humiliating?  No.  I chalk it up to a "runner's ego."  Or, as I like to call it, competitiveness.  We so much want to do our very best and shine.  Post some great event of ours on FaceBook.   I sometimes think about not qualifying and I am moved to tears.  Then I think of  Scarlett O'Hara and what she would say, "I can't think about that.  I'll think about that tomorrow."  She's right.  I envision myself crossing the finish line and qualifying.  That moves me to tears as well.  But I can't think about that either.   I can only think about the work.  The work that's ahead of me.  The hard, hard work.   I AM willing to do it.  So, whatever the outcome is, I know that I've worked hard.  Physically hard.  That whatever happens, I know that I haven't given up on the dream.  A little girl's dream.  My dream.  I'm taking a chance.  I promise to do my very, very best!
I'll let you know how it goes.

No comments: